Any taxpayer can be selected for investigation. HMRC are proactively targeting tax payers using sophisticated software that searches big data looking for discrepancies. Anything that does not cross match could be selected, regardless of the reasoning. You can even be selected at random. HMRC do get it wrong, many enquiries result in thousands of pounds in fees but in no additional tax liability.
Tax investigations can take months and are both stressful and costly. Not to mention a distraction from your usual day to day focus. Even if you have done nothing wrong, if an investigation is launched, it is wise to get immediate professional advice and representation from your accountant. This fast intervention can lead to early resolution and mitigate any additional tax due, dealing with HMRC without this expertise can make matters worse.
Unfortunately, such representation does incur fees and can be costly, especially if it takes some time to resolve and requires in depth records being prepared to support your case.
Get Protection and Peace of Mind for you and your Business
For your peace of mind, Kingston Burrowes offers all its clients the option to purchase our Tax Fee Protection Service, in partnership with Croner Taxwise.
The Tax Investigation service includes:
- Representation from us in the event of an HMRC investigation, with zero excess and covers up to £100,000 of our professional fees.
- Peace of mind. We will deal directly with HMRC on your behalf safeguarding you from the concern and stress of unknown additional fees.
- Access to experienced solicitors who will advise you on all areas of law including contract, property and landlord & tenant.
For our business clients, the service also includes support from a comprehensive range of advice lines as well as the unique HR Assist web based toolkit. Giving you access to the UK’s leading:
- Employment Law specialists providing pro-active HR advice helping you to manage your employees.
- Commercial Legal consultants and experienced solicitors who will advise you on all areas of law including contract, corporate, property and landlord & tenant.
- Health & Safety support. Do you really know what the responsibilities and implications are?
The Business Support Service can answer your HR, employment law, health & safety queries all year round, not just if you are under investigation.
We recommend that you take advantage of this valuable service which is a real benefit to your business. Contact us for more information about how to sign up.